Coloring Worlds of Wonder of Johanna Basford

Hi! Today I will be going to share on how I colored this page from the new book of Johanna Basford World of Wonders, My books is a Japanese version which I really love the color of the cover.


Materials:

  • World of Wonders Adult Coloring Book
  • Neocolors II
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Winsor & Newton Watercolor
  • Craft Knife
  • Tweezers
  • Piece of plastic, food wrap or Ziploc plastic bag
  • Spray bottle with water

Here's how the Japanese version looks like


Before I started working on this page, I assure that I have secured the under layer page buy placing another paper underneath and also done that on the next page. I even carefully placed a masking tape or washi tape on the spine.

and for the paint or any pigment go into the illustration itself I secured it with a paper and a washi tape as well. 


Here's the image on how it looks like.



I have used a craft knife and a tweezers 

Craft knife is to carefully cut the excess washi tape 
Tweezers is to help my pill off the washi tape easier


Note that you have to be really carefully and cutting the excess gently and avoiding to cute the paper of the book itself, this needs a lot of patience but don't worry you'll get there and just enjoy the process.

here's the image where I have finally finished cutting the excess washi tape. Yepee!!


Now it's playtime! first I am going to use neocolors, water soluble crayons, it's one of my favorite medium nowadays when it comes to coloring. 

I'll be using 
Phthalocyanine green and Sapphire Blue,  good that I do not have to pronounce the Phthalocyanine here, haha!


Next I grabbed my ziploc bag and cut a small piece of it, about 10x10 inches

The I add some pigment on the plastic


and sprayed a little bit of water 



I carefully placed the plastic on the book like this


Please note that if you mistakenly added so much water you can drag the plastic on the rest of the book until there is no more water left.

Continue doing the same process until you are satisfied and the whole page is covered with neocolors, 

It should somehow look like this


You can add more layers if you want too, just be careful on how much water you are going to spray on the plastic.

This looks so messy but this is how it looks like when I have removed the washi tape and the paper that secure the illustration


Wait until the background is dried until you work on the illustration, for me I left mine overnight to be sure that it is totally dried.

and for the illustration, I have used neocolors too to color it 



and added some watercolor and acrylic for the details and here's the finished page!
If you have any question feel free to ask, and I will gladly answer as soon as I can.
I hope you find this helpful and inspiring!


Enjoy and Happy Coloring




2 comments: